Most of you reading this have probably used ClickUp or Asana but are unsure how they compare against each other in the project management space. This is why we have decided to put together a detailed comparison between ClickUp vs Asana and show you how Nifty compares against both of them.
Project management is a crowded space of workflow solutions. Each solution has their own set of features and compromises. The decision on which solution to onboard your team can be challenging. The comparison between ClickUp vs Asana represents the overall workflow management spectrum in many ways.
ClickUp vs Asana
Asana is one of the older and more established solutions in project management category. They have built their reputation and user base as a modern Basecamp alternative with improved UX for teams. While Asana set out to optimize the holes that Basecamp left open, Asana’s current identity is oriented more around stability rather than innovation.
In a stark contrast, ClickUp’s entrance into the workflow space is based on being feature rich. They offer a number of features and customizable implementation options. ClickUp’s solution to Asana’s stagnation is to offer seemingly every feature that they can conceptualize. The result is a solution that is as confusing as it is powerful with a steep learning curve and a lack of standardization to create team alignment.
The Nifty Solution
Nifty finds itself as a comfortable middle ground to these two solutions. It offers improved and innovative features, usability, and scalability compared to ClickUp vs Asana. It doesn’t dive deep into the bottomless pit of features-as-a-solution that ClickUp resides. Nifty is the out-of-the-box workflow solution that allows your team to pick up quickly with its award winning ease of use.
Below is a deeper comparison between ClickUp vs Asana against Nifty. This should better illustrate the value of just the right solution for you.
ClickUp Key Features
- An immense amount of customization (required) on every level, ClickUp’s feature list is exhaustive. All of the project management tools you’d expect and more, such as docs, a Google Maps integration, a huge suite of bells and whistles.
- Quite frankly, it’s difficult to identify key features within ClickUp, as they aim to offer whatever is needed to whoever is using it.
ClickUp Feature Gaps
- ClickUp’s gaps aren’t so much what’s missing, rather the friction of what’s already there. For example, they offer communication, but not a viable one-on-one chat solution.
- A lack of standardization across projects makes scalability challenging.
- They break up their platform into Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced tiers. This comes off as a near-admission of a lack of intuitive design by pushing the burden of adoption onto its users.
Asana Key Features
- Asana offers a lot of flexibility around tasks, such as the ability to dive into subtasks, sub-subtask, sub-sub-subtasks (and so on).
- Workloads offers a Gantt view of the amount of tasks assigned to each member of your team. Combine this with the ability to restrict the amount of tasks assigned to each member and Asana becomes a good solution to prevent employee burnout.
- Tasks can be attributed to multiple boards to make cross-functional initiatives easier to manage and track without having to duplicate data.
Asana Feature Gaps
- Asana is a strong task management tool. However it struggles to meaningfully roll up projects on a per-project basis.
- Some of the more critical features of project management are only found on their up-market expensive pricing tiers
- Innovation has stagnated as Asana doesn’t offer many of the collaboration and automation features that Nifty provides, such as built-in docs, chats, and a personal work space. This solidifies Asana as a piece of your tech stack rather than an all-in-one solution that Nifty offers.
ClickUp vs Asana vs Nifty
How Nifty Compares
- Nifty offers a strong suite of standard features such as multiple task views, roadmaps, project and user based reporting.
- Built-in workflow automations and integrations to bridge the gap between Nifty and 2000 other apps.
- Workspace wide team chat for one-on-one or group conversations to consolidate communication and action into a single experience.
Always an important consideration for teams is pricing. The pricing between these different solutions varies quite dramatically. In the ClickUp vs Asana battle both offer Free Unlimited plans, though the devil is in the details here and they aren’t really unlimited at all.
Asana’s free plan offers unlimited Tasks and projects for up to 15 users. However, a lot of what’s required to balance teamwork is found in their Premium plan, which starts as low as $10.99/user/month (billed annually). A team of 15 can leap from Free to nearly $165/mo instantly, and still lack many of the critical features required to keep your team sane (such as Workloads). For these tools, you can look forward to paying as much as $24.99/user/mo (billed annually) which brings our team of 15 to nearly $375/mo.
At this point, it’s fair to question why you get so little at such a steep number. That said, if you want Enterprise, you can expect that per-user pricing to jump significantly higher from here.
ClickUp also offers a Free plan for getting started. Though their strategy for getting your team to pay hinges on you running out of boards and data quickly. From there, you’re looking at a price of $9/user/mo (billed monthly) if you’re not willing to join on an annual plan. Their next plan, Business offers more limits of many of the current features but with a wide price split of more-than-double $19/user/mo (monthly).
From here, you have the enigmatic Enterprise pricing to work out with their Sales team.
How Nifty Compares (ClickUp vs Asana vs Nifty)
Nifty’s pricing structure deviates from Asana’s and ClickUp’s in two key ways:
- Nifty offers a free forever plan that enables users to get a complete experience when using Nifty. Compared to ClickUp vs Asana who have incredibly restrictive free plans requiring upgrades very quickly.
- Nifty enables teams to scale easily with affordable per user pricing.
- Free forever plan that enables users to utilize Nifty that includes access to unlimited users, tasks, and all of the products core features.
- Starter plan ranges from $5/user/mo (annually). This includes all of the critical features required to manage up to 40 projects in their entirety along with unlimited Guests.
- Pro plan includes global project Overviews by default, as well as access to unlimited projects! At $10/user/month – Nifty becomes your all in one workflow hub by having access to automations and cross project overviews.
- Business brings both Workloads and Overview into the plan at a monthly/annual price split of only $16/user/month with limitless features.
Summary of ClickUp vs Asana vs Nifty
Your team size might grow or requirements might change as adoption picks up within your team. When deciding on a solution for today, keeping tomorrow in mind is crucial. Before you find yourself having to train members of your team through multiple tiers of difficulty in your workflow solution, choose wisely.
A happy, predictable medium made for a happy team will have the same result for your organization as well.
Ready to give Nifty a try? It’s free to try. Get started today 🚀