Looking for Best Project Management Tools For Software Development? You are at the right place!
To remain competitive in business today, you must adapt new methodologies, implement new technologies, and utilize new tools.
Having top-rated project management tools for software development is extremely important if you want to make sure your team is prioritized to increase performance and productivity.
But the real question is, which tool best suits today’s software development needs?
What best project management tools can you get from the market for your software development teams?
Read this article until the end to briefly learn all about the 13 best project management software for software development.
The need for project management tools for software development
Project management tools are essential for software development because they help to organize and monitor the project’s progress. Without a project management tool, it would be difficult to know what tasks need to be completed, how much progress has been made on a task, and when a task is due.
Here are some key reasons why investing in a project management tool for software development is worth investing:
- With the help of a project management tool, you can keep track of the progress of your software development project and ensure that it is on track.
- A project management tool can help you communicate with your team members and other stakeholders to ensure everyone is on the same page.
- Risks can be identified and tracked with the help of a project management tool, allowing you to mitigate them before they become a problem.
- You can use a project management tool for software development to manage and plan your resources to get the most out of them.
The 13 Best Project Management Tools for Software Development
As a software developer, you are familiar with a wide variety of project management tools. With so many options, choosing the right one can take time and effort.
This article will explore the top 13 project management tools for software development.
1. Nifty: Best project management tool for software development
The project management software, Nifty reduces the project development cycles and assists in improving productivity. It does so by combining all the needed essential features of project management into a single software.
Further, it permits you to manage your software development projects or tasks through a list or Kanban view. This collaborative tool facilitates teamwork by allowing you and your team to manage tasks, manage documents, track time, etc., all in one place.
A calendar is built-in into Nifty and can be integrated with Google and Outlook, as well as sharing files and documents.
Nifty is the ideal project management tool for software development thanks to its features.
- Project Portfolio Management
- Time tracking and reporting
- Different roles and permission for users
- Gannt Chart
- Collaboration tool
- Task scheduling
- Task management
- Idea Board
- Budget tracking
- Effective team collaboration
- Available on both mobile and desktop
- Friendly UI
- Excellent customer support
- Lack custom automation
- Lack of dashboard for visual insights
- Lack PDF annotation
- No native printing feature
- Limited free plan
- Free trial and free version available
- Starter: $39/ month if billed annually
- Pro: $79/month if billed annually
- Business: $124/month if billed annually
- Unlimited: $399/month if billed annually
Trello is a project management application that allows users to create and manage tasks in a Kanban-style workflow. Kanban is a system that helps users visualize and track the progress of work items through a board with columns. Trello’s Kanban-style workflow makes it a versatile tool for various applications, from personal project management and task management to team collaboration.
Trello is a popular tool for project managers and teams of all sizes.
- Create personalized Kanban boards with no hassle.
- Easily manage tasks on cardboard.
- Visually share ideas with other colleagues.
- Share files and images.
- Create unlimited task lists.
- Organize lists according to priority or by date.
- Less complex pricing structure.
- It’s easy to add members. Adding a new member is as simple as entering the new user’s email address.
- An easy-to-use interface. Trello is simple and easy to use so anyone can use it.
- The notification system is excellent. One of Trello’s key features is the ability to see every move made on the software. The email notification goes out for every update, comment, and task removal, while the push notification goes to users of the phone.
- Difficult to handle big projects
- Storage limit
- You cannot review iterations
- 14 days free trial
- Standard USD 5 Per user/month
- Premium USD 10 Per user/month
- Enterprise USD 17.50 Per user/month
Using Jira Software, teams of all types can manage their work more effectively. Jira was initially designed for tracking bugs and issues. In today’s world of agile software development, Jira is a powerful work management tool for managing everything from requirements to test cases.
Jira is a bit expensive project management software for software development, so you might want to consider using a Jira alternative.
- Project management
- Data and Reporting
- Project and issue tracking
- Visual project management
- Content Collaboration
- Agile work management
- Organization alignment
- Reports and Insights
- Challenging setup
- Limited project management
- Missing communication tool
- Always free for 10 users
- Standard: $7.75 per user
- Premium: $15.25 per user
ClickUp is a project management software for enterprises that also functions just well for managing software development projects. Managing resources, planning projects, scheduling tasks, and interacting with team members, all of these are possible in one place with ClickUp.
- Project Management
- Team collaboration and communication
- Customization capabilities
- Real-time reporting
- Time tracking capabilities
- Agile development
Read also: Clickup alternatives
- The layout is friendly. All information is easily viewed and understood with ClickUp. It is easy for teams to keep track of multiple projects with the layout.
- A customer-centric approach. Clickup continually offers new features, improvements, and enhancements based on customers’ needs.
- Full-featured free version.
- Cost-effective. Using ClickUp, you can manage different types of projects without having to use multiple software applications.
- UI needs improvements
- Too many options for customization
- Too many ClickUp features. When setting up the system for the first time, some users feel overwhelmed by the number of features available.
- Free version available
- Unlimited: $ 5 per user/month
- Business: $ 12 per user/month
- Business Plus: $ 19 per user/month
- Enterprise: Best for many large teams
Asana task management solution comes with an automation tool, a rule builder, and other tools for managing the workplace. By using Asana’s Timeline, users can visualize the piece-by-piece construction of a project and keep things on track as they evolve.
- Work, project, and task management
- Customizable dashboard
- Team management
- Multiple workspaces
- Email Integration
- Easy to use
- Expansive Integration
- Collaboration focused
- Task Management
- No time tracking feature
- Require some experience
- Assignments are limited
- Free trial
- Free package for 15 users
- Premium package: $21/5 users/month
Good project management is critical to the success of any business endeavor. An essential aspect of good project management is effective communication.
With the KrispCall communication tool, project managers can have fast and easy interactions with their team members. Managing projects becomes easier when software development teams communicate and collaborate with one another. They can streamline their workflow in a much better way.
- Intelligent call routing
- Call recording
- Lead management
- Internal call transfer
- Complete messaging platform
- Survey management
- Contact management
- Allows you to keep track of all call logs, chat history, and contact details in one place.
- Enables multitasking to switch between calls seamlessly.
- Allows admins to manage and customize one or more workspaces.
- Location tracking is not available
- Lack of video conferencing capability
- Essential: $ 15 monthly/user
- Standard $ 40 monthly/user
- Enterprise recommended for large enterprises
A leading business management software, Scoro is popular with agencies and consultancies worldwide. With it, you can manage your projects, manage your CRM, automate billing, and do reporting all in one place. You’ll be able to run your business as smoothly and efficiently as possible from the beginning to the end.
- Track real-time progress
- Simple project management
- Task prioritization and scheduling
- Track non-billable time
- Timesheet view
- Track planned meetings and task
- Fast customer service
- Product management and planning
- Inventory management
- Efficient invoicing
- Streamlined order tracking
- Absence of contact synchronization with Gmail
- Marketing and CRM are very poor
- Filtering is difficult.
- Essential: $ 26/user/month
- Standard: $ 37/user/month
- Pro: $ 63/user/month
- Ultimate: for large enterprises
Paymo is a project management and workload management tool for small-medium businesses and freelancers. The app’s main focus is helping teams with collaboration, timesheet management, and project accounting. It basically allows you to manage projects from start to finish:
- Time tracking
- Task management
- Team scheduling
- Team collaboration
- Invoicing and estimates
- File proofing
- Comprehensive project management tools
- Extensive time tracking
- Actionable Insight and reports
- The filters can get confusing, sometimes it’s too many filters or not enough.
- Does not track the cost of each project.
- Free for a maximum 1 user
- Starter: $ 4.95 /user/month
- Small office: $ 9.95 /user/month
- Business: $ 20.79/user/month
Using Airtable is so simple, and it gives your full freedom to create a new project from scratch. It organizes work processes into templates and tables based on project needs.
However, Airtable’s real power lies in its customization. Airtable can be tailored to meet your exact needs. But if you’re willing to take the time to do so, there are no limits. A wide range of customization options is available, including methodology and view types, column headers, field types, and data validation.
- Calendar Management
- Customized Fields and views
- Data Synchronization
- Sort, filter, and rearrange records
- Relational Database Functionality
- Link Records Between Tables
- Tags and Keywords
- Email integration
- Application Integration
- Social media integration
- Third-party integration
- Forms Management
- Collaborative Workspace
- Communication Management
- Automatic Notifications and automatic backup
- Records Management
- Upload Spreadsheet
Why Nifty is an ideal Airtable Alternative
- Simple to use
- Familiar collaboration space
- Great view options
- Excellent UI
- Powerful templates for many use cases
- Lack of formula builder.
- There is no automatic refresh feature.
- For free users, there are no basic blocks
- Free plan but with limited features
- Plus: $10 per seat per month billed annually, but if billed monthly, it’s $12.
- Pro: $20 per seat per month billed annually, but if billed monthly, it’s $24.
An open-source project management software tool, Redmine was developed by an engineering community. With its multitude of plugins and themes, you can radically and magically customize your project.
Though it is free, it is not suitable for everyone. Further, in contrast to many of the best project management software for software development, Redmine is not so simple to set up and use. If you want to use a free version, Redmine is best. However, if you want to use an additional collaborative feature, use Easy Redmine.
Easy Redmine is built based on the Redmine open-source foundation but has been greatly enhanced with a newly written GUI.
- Facile time tracking
- Product roadmap and strategic planning
- Collaboration in wikis and forums
- Gantt charts and calendar
- CM integration
- Kanban boards
- Email notifications
- Multiple project support
- Allow tracking of multiple projects
- Includes an issue-tracking system
- Flexible and customizable project management application.
- Support different languages
- Open source
- Customizable with themes and plugins
- Powerful custom queries
- Integration with code version control like git/svn
- Integration with email clients
- Support for MS SQL Server
- Projects and groups separation
- Search and reporting features are not working
- Needs self-installation and maintenance
- There is no support included (other than the online community)
- It is not suitable for all teams and projects; it is primarily geared toward software developers.
- Free and open source.
- Essentials: $5.90 per user per month
- Business: $11.90 per user per month
- Platform: $23.90 per user per month
- Enterprise: Contact vendor
11. Zoho Projects
The Zoho Projects team management tool is another highly popular project coordinator. The application keeps track of almost all aspects of the development workflow.
The unique feature of Zoho Projects is that it automates document processes, including revision tracking, access control, and document search and retrieval.
Users can schedule tasks and projects, create budgets, assign tasks to members, and set due dates with its many project management features.
Looking for Zoho alternatives?
- Task management
- Team collaboration
- Integration and Add-ones
- Time management
- Zoho integration
- Charts and Reports
- Track bugs
- Integrate with the G-Suite apps
- Gantt Charts
- Integration with several tools is possible.
- Excellent value
- Deep configuration options
- Generally easy to set up and navigate
- Strong time-tracking tool
- App provides multiple communication options
- Excellent customer support
- Charts, project pages, and bug-tracking features are not included in the standard pricing plan. It’s, therefore, necessary to pay for them separately.
- Premade templates are not included.
- Quite an unusual resource management view.
- Poor dashboard
- High learning curve
- Free for only two projects for 3 users.
- Premium: $5 per user per month
- Enterprise: $10/user/month
With a plain and user-friendly interface feature available for cooperation between customers and teammates, Basecamp has the largest number of admirers around the world.
In Basecamp, all users are on the same page while they work on the project. The main page displays well-organized icons instead of boring linear lists. So, it is pleasing for the eyes too.
The application provides a user-friendly interface that enables them to comment on files, assign tasks, and keep track of their recent activities.
- Upload documents and files
- Automated check-ins
- Create project schedules
- Real-time management of project activities
- Collaborate Seamlessly
- Build up to-do lists
- Have performance records
- Manage and share files
- Put workflow on the card table
- Setup discussions
- Report on the project’s progress
- Built-in communication feature
Check out: Basecamp Alternative
- Excellent User interface
- Full of plug-in services
- Simple pricing
- Excellent document storage
- Available on mobile
- Storage of files in a single place.
- Great customer services
- Lack of task management
- Integration with third-party applications such as Dropbox and Google Drive needs extra services to integrate.
- Lack Time tracking feature
- Lack of show-stopping feature
- There is no option to archive topics
- Limited chat management
- Free trial for 30 days
- Premium plan: $11 per user per month
Wrike is another good choice of project management tool with a strong feature. Even though it is full of features, you don’t have to spend so much time in its setup process.
Wrike helps you to design valuable project details in spreadsheet columns and manage projects in it.
The biggest companies in the tech world, such as Dell, Google, and Airbnb use Wrike as a project management tool.
- Task management
- Advanced Analytics
- Online-to-do list for work
- Customize tools for any teams
- Purpose-built templates
- Shared team calendars
- Time tracking
- Project Portfolio Management
- Gantt charts
- Kanban Boards
- Mobile Access
- Good customer service
- Robust application
- Powerful Automation
- A free version is an available
- Integration with other applications
- Resources allocation and management
- Ability to find the task
- Difficult onboarding
- Lack of filtering options
- Slow Speed
- Lack of UI customization
- Free version with core features available
- Professional: $9.80 per user per month
- Business: $24.80 per user per month
- Enterprise: Contact the customer support team
Information technology has revolutionized the way we live and work. In the past, managing a software development project was a daunting task, but today there are a variety of tools available to help make the job easier.
There are dozens of project management tools on the market, but choosing the right one for your needs can be a challenge. In order to assist you in making the right decision, we have compiled a list of the best software development project management tools.
Selecting the right project management tool can take time, but it’s worth it to get it right before rolling it out to an entire team is worth it.