As a consultant, you’re always juggling multiple projects, deadlines, and clients, which can escalate to chaos quickly. That’s where project management software for consultants comes into action to streamline your workflow, boost collaboration, and help you stay organized.
With so many options on the market for consulting firms, it can be challenging to choose the right one. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the seven best project management software for consultants based on our own experience and extensive research.
Whether you’re a solo practitioner or part of a team, these tools can help you take your own consulting services business to the next level. So sit back, relax, and get ready to discover the game-changing project management software that will revolutionize the way you work.
But first, why is project management software important for consultants?
“A whopping 97% of organizations believe that project management is critical to business performance and organizational success.” – PwC
Project management software is crucial for consultants as it helps them manage multiple projects, clients, deadlines, project resources, and teams in an efficient and organized manner—the data backs up our claim:
- Improved productivity: According to a study by Capterra, using a PM tool can increase your productivity by a whopping 35%:
- Better performance: A staggering 77% of high-performing projects use project management software.
- Enhanced communication: Data also suggests that teams using project management software with inbuilt communication features have reported numerous benefits such as:
- Improvement in team communication and transparency within the organization (52%)
- Improved quality of the final product (44%)
- Improved customer satisfaction (38%)
- Improved cost: Organizations that invest in project management practices spend 28x less money due to the strategic completion of initiatives.
- Increased profitability: A study by Deltek found that for 12% of participants, streamlining operations has the greatest impact on improving profits.
The takeaway: Project management software is important for consultants as it can improve productivity, collaboration, project visibility, profitability, and save time.
Top 7 best project management software for consultants in 2023
With so many options in the market, choosing the right consulting project management tool can be a challenge. Here are the 7 best options to ease up your day:
1. Nifty: Overall best project management software for consultants
Nifty is a cloud-based project management software that enables teams to collaborate and manage projects effectively.
As a professional services consultant, you can use Nifty to manage multiple projects simultaneously, streamline communication with clients and team members, and keep track of tasks, deadlines, and budgets.
Top Features: Some of the key features of Nifty that are particularly useful for consultants include:
- Chat and Zoom Integration: Nifty provides seamless integration with chat and video conferencing tools like Slack and Zoom:
This feature allows you to communicate with team members and clients in real-time, share files, and keep track of all conversations related to your projects.
- Multiple Project Management: The platform allows you to manage multiple projects from a single dashboard. This feature is particularly useful for consultants who work on multiple projects simultaneously and need to keep track of all their tasks and deadlines in one place.
- Task Management: Nifty provides a robust task management system that allows you to create tasks, assign them to team members, set deadlines, and track progress:
This feature helps ensure that all tasks are completed on time and within budget.
- Time Tracking: The tool also includes a time-tracking feature that allows you to track the time spent on each task and project. This feature comes in handy when billing clients accurately for your time.
- Budget Tracking: Nifty doubles up as an extremely powerful tool to set project budgets and track expenses in real-time. This way, you can avoid any surprises at the end of the project and enjoy cost savings.
- Collaboration and File Sharing: Perhaps the most important feature the tool provides is access to a centralized platform for team members to collaborate and share files. By extension, everyone is on the same page and has access to the latest project information.
Pricing: In terms of pricing, Nifty offers a free forever plan to get you started. It also has paid plans starting at only $5/month per user with all core features included.
👉 Ready to try Nifty? Get started with Nifty for free.
The verdict: Nifty’s intuitive integration with chat and video conferencing tools, task and time tracking, advanced features, and budget tracking capabilities make it an ideal choice for consultants looking to streamline their project management workflows.
ClickUp is a popular agile project management tool that offers a wide range of features and integrations. It is best known for its comprehensive project management features, including time tracking and project budgeting.
- Customizable views: ClickUp allows users to customize their task lists, calendars, and timelines according to their preferences. This can help consultants stay organized and focused on their work.
- Collaboration tools: It also offers a variety of collaboration tools, including comments, mentions, and file attachments. Consultants can easily communicate with their clients and team members with this feature.
- Time tracking: ClickUp offers built-in time tracking, which can help consultants track the time they spend on each project and task. This can be useful for billing clients and improving productivity.
- Project templates: The platform offers a variety of project templates, which can help consultants get started quickly and easily, thereby saving time and reducing the risk of errors.
Review the ideal ClickUp alternative
ClickUp offers five pricing models:
- Free: Free
- Unlimited: $5
- Business: $12
- Business Plus: $19
- Enterprise: Custom quote
The verdict: ClickUp is well-suited for consultants who need to manage multiple projects and stay organized.
Monday.com is another popular top project management software tool that offers a visual and intuitive interface.
- Customizable boards: Monday.com allows users to create customizable boards that can be used to manage tasks, projects, and workflows. As a result, consultants stay organized and focused on their work.
- Collaboration tools: It also offers a variety of collaboration tools, including comments, mentions, and file attachments.
- Automation: As a consultant, if you want to automate repetitive tasks and save time, Monday.com might be for you. This tool, if used correctly, can improve productivity and reduce errors.
- Time tracking: Monday.com also brings to the table powerful built-in time tracking capabilities, which can help consultants track the time they spend on each project and task.
Check out: Best Monday Alternative
The brand offers five pricing models:
- Individual: $0
- Basic: $8
- Standard: $10
- Pro: $16
- Enterprise: Custom quote
The verdict: Monday.com is a powerful project management tool that is best for consultants who need to manage tasks, projects, and workflows in a flexible and customizable way.
Think of Notion as an all-in-one productivity tool that combines task management, note-taking, database management, and project management features.
It has gained popularity as a project management tool for consultants due to its flexibility and customizability. Consultants can use Notion to create project roadmaps, manage tasks, monitor project progress, collaborate with team members, and share project progress with clients.
- Customizable Templates: Notion offers a wide range of customizable templates that can be tailored to fit specific project needs. Consultants can choose from pre-built templates for project management, task management, meeting notes, and more.
- Kanban Boards: Notion’s Kanban board feature allows consultants to visualize their project progress and manage tasks using drag-and-drop functionality. The boards can be customized to match project workflows and can be shared with team members and clients.
- Task Management: The platform’s task management feature allows consultants to create to-do lists, assign tasks to team members, and set deadlines. The tool provides real-time updates on task progress and sends notifications when tasks are completed.
- Collaboration: Its collaboration features enable consultants to work with team members and clients in real time. Users can comment on tasks, share files, and collaborate on documents in a centralized location.
- Integration: Notion integrates with a range of third-party tools, including Google Drive, Trello, and Slack. Consultants can use these integrations to streamline their workflow and save time.
Notion offers four pricing models:
- Plus: $8
- Business: $15
- Enterprise: Custom
The verdict: All in all, Notion is a versatile and flexible project management tool that offers consultants a range of features for managing projects, tasks, and collaboration. Its customizable templates, Kanban boards, task and project management programs, collaboration features, and integration capabilities make it an ideal tool for consultants looking to streamline their workflow.
Wrike is known for its enterprise-level project management tools and reporting capabilities. This cloud-based consulting project management tool offers a range of features for consultants, including project planning, task management, team collaboration, and reporting.
Consultants can use Wrike to manage projects, track progress, and communicate with team members and clients.
- Project Planning: Wrike offers a range of project planning tools, including Gantt charts, timelines, and calendars. Consultants can use these tools to plan project milestones, set deadlines, and track progress.
- Task Management: The tool’s task management features allow consultants to create to-do lists, assign tasks to team members, and set deadlines. It also provides real-time updates on task progress and sends notifications when tasks are completed.
- Collaboration: Wrike’s collaboration features enable consultants to work with team members, and project management firm in real time. Users can comment on tasks, share files, and collaborate on documents in a centralized location.
- Reporting: When it comes to reporting, Wrike is not far behind. It allows consultants to track project progress and generate reports on project performance. Users can also create custom reports, dashboards, and analytics to gain insights into project performance.
Wrike offers five pricing models:
- Free: $0 per user per month
- Team: $9.8 per user per month
- Business: $24.8 per user per month
- Enterprise: Custom quote
- Pinnacle: Custom quote
The verdict: Wrike’s project planning tools, task management, collaboration features, reporting capabilities, and integration capabilities make it highly suitable for consultants looking to streamline their workflow and manage resources.
Asana is a popular project management tool that helps consultants to manage projects efficiently.
This cloud-based platform comes power-packed with useful features to streamline tasks, deadlines, resource management, and team collaboration. Asana also enables consultants to organize their projects and keep track of their progress.
Moreover, this consulting project management software it is very user-friendly and can be customized according to the user’s preferences.
- Task Management: Asana provides a comprehensive task management system that enables consultants to assign tasks, set deadlines, and track progress.
- Collaboration: The tool makes it super easy for teams to collaborate on projects by providing a centralized location for all project-related information.
- Project Dashboards: Asana offers project dashboards that provide a high-level view of project progress and performance.
- Integrations: Asana integrates with several third-party tools, including Google Drive, Dropbox, Slack, and more.
- Mobile App: Asana also offers a mobile app that allows consultants to manage their projects on the go.
Asana offers four pricing models:
- Basic: $0
- Premium: $10.99
- Business: $24.99
- Enterprise: Available on request
“Asana is a powerful application that streamlines the management of daily activities and large-scale projects, providing our team with a versatile and user-friendly platform.” – G2 verified user
The verdict: Asana is a reliable platform that can help consultants to streamline their project management processes and supercharge their productivity.
Teamwork enables consultants to organize their projects and keep track of their progress. It is one of the best consulting project management software that can be customized according to the user’s preferences.
- Task Management: Teamwork provides a comprehensive task management system that enables consultants to assign tasks, set deadlines, and track progress.
- Project Dashboards: It offers project dashboards that provide a high-level view of project progress and performance.
- Integrations: Teamwork integrates with several third-party tools, including Google Drive, Dropbox, Slack, and more.
- Time Tracking: It offers ultra-useful time-tracking features that enable consultants to track billable hours and project costs.
It offers four pricing models:
- Free Forever
- Starter: $5.99
- Deliver: $9.99
- Grow: $17.99
The verdict: Teamwork is a comprehensive project management tool that provides consultants with an efficient and organized way to manage their projects (and time).
Essential Features to Watch Out for in Project Management Software for Consultants
Potential features that the software must include are:
- Customization options: You should be able to customize the software to match personalized preferences and workflows.
- Reporting and analytics: The software should generate reports and provide insights into project performance, such as time spent on tasks, budget utilization, and team productivity.
- Mobile app: Having a mobile app can allow consultants to manage projects on the go and stay connected with their team.
- Security and data privacy: The software should adhere to industry standards and best practices to ensure the security and privacy of sensitive data.
2. Easy to Use
The software should have a user-friendly interface with an intuitive layout that is easy to navigate. It should be easy to add and manage tasks, deadlines, and milestones and collaborate with team members.
Another important factor to consider is the software’s ability to integrate with other tools, particularly ones that consultants commonly use, such as invoicing tools, communication platforms, cloud storage, and time-tracking tools. This will help to streamline workflows and reduce the need for switching between different tools.
4. Customer Support
It’s important to have access to reliable customer support, whether it be via phone, email, or chat. The support team should be able to respond promptly to any queries or issues that the client facing service providers or consultants may have.
The pricing structure should be transparent and offer flexibility to accommodate the needs of different consultants. Some software may offer a free or trial version, while others may charge a monthly or annual subscription fee. It’s important to evaluate the pricing structure against the features offered and choose a plan that suits your budget and requirements.
Project management software is every consultant’s best friend, provided they account for their specific needs and preferences before making a final decision.
Nifty is the best project management software for consultants because of its user-friendly interface, collaboration features, customizable workflows, and automation capabilities.
Make the switch! Try Nifty now for free.
Best Project Management Software for Consultants – Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the best project management software for consultants?
There are several project management software options available for consultants, and the best one will depend on your specific needs and preferences.
Some popular choices for consulting firms include Nifty, Trello, Asana, Monday.com, and Wrike. It’s important to consider factors such as ease of use, collaboration features, task tracking, budget management, and reporting capabilities when selecting a project management software for consultants.
Can you use Nifty as a consultant project management software?
Yes, absolutely! Nifty can be used as a consultant project management software. Nifty is a consulting project management software and team collaboration tool that offers features such as task tracking, project timelines, team calendars, and file sharing.
It also integrates with other tools like Google Drive, Slack, and Zoom, making it a convenient option for consultants who work with multiple clients and teams.
How to choose the best project management software for consultants?
To choose the best project management software for consultants, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- Your specific needs and goals as a consultant
- Features and functionalities required for your projects and clients
- Ease of use and accessibility for yourself and your clients
- Collaboration capabilities and tools for remote teams and clients
- Integration with other tools and software you may use
- Pricing and budget considerations
It’s recommended to research and compare different project management software options and read reviews from other consultants before making a decision about consulting management software.
Additionally, many project management software companies offer free trials or demos, which can help you test out the software and determine if it’s the right fit for you.