Looking for the best enterprise resource management software? We’ve got you covered.
With more and more teams working remotely, ensuring that the available resources are being used optimally can be an uphill task. Fortunately, with the right tool at hand, you can streamline resource management and get the most out of your team.
According to estimates, enterprise resource planning software is growing at a rate of 4.78% and is expected to reach a market volume of US$62.36bn by 2028.
In this blog, we have rounded up the 12 best resource management software that can help your team stay organized and productive and achieve their goals with ease. Let’s jump right in.
What is resource management software?
Resource Management Software is absolutely essential for organizations to:
- Manage their resources (think: personnel, equipment, facilities, time, and budget) more effectively and efficiently
- Streamline operations
- Reduce costs
- Increase efficiency by optimizing resource allocation, forecasting future needs, and identifying potential bottlenecks
Despite its widespread advantages, only 26% of organizations leverage resource management to estimate and allocate resources:
What’s also interesting to note is that there are several types of resource management software available such as agile project resource management software, workforce management software, financial resource management, resource capacity planning software, and asset management software.
What does resource management software do?
Resource management software typically provides a range of tools and functionalities to help organizations track, allocate, and optimize their resources.
Some of the most common features include the following:
- Resource planning for creating project roadmap for how resources will be used in the organization and allocate them to specific projects or tasks.
- Resource tracking to monitor the use of resources in real-time and update resource availability as needed.
- Resource allocation to assign resources to specific projects or tasks based on priority and availability.
- Reporting and analytics to generate reports and analyze data to help organizations make informed decisions about resource management.
If you are working on multiple projects simultaneously and are struggling to manage resources across different teams and departments, Resource Management Software might be just what you need.
By optimizing resource allocation and reducing waste, you can improve productivity, increase profitability, and deliver projects more efficiently.
11 Best resource management tools for teams in 2024
1. Nifty: Overall best resource management tool
Nifty is a project management tool and resource management software that is particularly useful for remote teams and for those in the software development and creative industries. This software helps you to collaborate more efficiently and manage resources effectively.
- Project management: You can plan, track, and collaborate on projects using a range of tools–from project timelines and tasks to milestones and more.
- Resource management: The platform allows you to schedule and manage people, equipment, and materials so that you can complete projects on time and within budget.
- Time tracking: Nifty also offers time tracking functionality, allowing team members to log hours and track their progress on specific tasks and projects.
- Collaboration: Want to facilitate collaboration? Use Nifty’s discussion that offers features such as real-time messaging, comments, and @mentions.
- Customizable dashboards: Nifty’s customizable dashboards are somewhat legendary. They provide you with a bird’s-eye view of the projects and resources, making it easy to stay on top of progress and identify potential bottlenecks.
- Integration: Finally, the platform seamlessly integrates with a range of popular tools such as Google Drive, Dropbox, GitHub, and Trello.
- Free: $0
- Starter: $39 per month for up to 10 users
- Pro: $79 per month for up to 20 users
- Business: $124 per month for up to 50 users
- Unlimited: $399
G2 Rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars, with users praising the platform’s ease of use, customization options, and project management features. Overall, Nifty is considered a reliable and effective tool for resource management and project collaboration.
2. Monday: Best for medium to enterprise-level organizations
On the lookout for cloud-based resource and capacity management software? Monday is great for tracking and managing team capacity, from projects to initiatives.
- Resource management feature helps you to schedule and manage resources easily.
- Project management feature helps teams to plan, track, and collaborate on projects, including task management, project timelines, and project dashboards.
- Time tracking functionality is great for logging hours and tracking team progress based on specific tasks.
- Individual: $0
- Basic: $8 per user per month
- Standard: $10 per user per month
- Pro: $16 per user per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing for larger teams
G2 Rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars
If you want resource management software to streamline workflows and increase productivity, Hive is for you. It offers a comprehensive set of features to manage projects, tasks, time, and collaboration in one place.
- It offers an intuitive interface for managing projects with custom fields, Gantt charts, and task dependencies.
- With Hive, you can create tasks, assign them to team members, and set due dates.
- Hive includes a built-in time tracker that lets you track time spent on tasks and projects. You can easily view your time logs and generate reports to analyze your team’s productivity.
- Hive provides a variety of reports to help you analyze your team’s performance, such as time spent on tasks, project progress, and team workload.
- Free: $0
- Teams: $12 per user per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
G2 Rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars
4. ClickUp: Best for small to mid-size firms
ClickUp is a resource management software that empowers you to manage tasks, collaborate, and optimize resources. This flexible and customizable platform offers a wide range of features, such as time tracking, project management, team management, workflow automation, and resource management.
- Resource workload management feature that enables you to:
- Manage resources effectively
- Allocate tasks to team members based on availability and workload capacity
- Leverage an easy-to-use dashboard that gives real-time visibility into team member workload
- Balance the team’s workload and avoid overburdening the team members
- Resource capacity planning helps you to:
- Forecast and plan for future resource needs
- View team member availability and capacity
- Allocate resources for upcoming projects or tasks
- Identify resource gaps and make informed decisions about resource allocation
- Resource utilization reports provide insights into resource utilization such as:
- How much time do team members spend on various tasks and projects
- Understanding how to optimize resource allocation
- Identifying areas for improvement
Switch to Nifty for free Are you,
Stuck with ClickUp?
- Free: $0
- Unlimited: $5 per user per month
- Business: $12 per user per month
- Business Plus: $19 per user per month
- Enterprise: Custom quote
G2 Rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars
Growrk is a leading platform dedicated to providing high-quality remote work equipment, IT asset management software, and services, ensuring a comfortable and efficient remote working environment.
- IT Asset Management Software: As part of their comprehensive remote work solutions, Growrk offers robust IT Asset Management Software. This enables you to efficiently track, manage, and optimize company assets. This feature is particularly useful for remote teams, as it helps ensure that everyone has the equipment they need while also keeping track of company-owned devices and software.
- Remote Work Tools: Growrk offers a variety of top-notch tools designed for remote workers, such as ergonomic chairs, desks, and technology equipment. It makes sure you have all the essential items for an optimal home office setup.
- Workstation Setup Service: Beyond supplying the tools, Growrk assists in setting up your home workstation. They cater to your specific needs and preferences to create an environment conducive to productivity…
Pricing: Available on request
G2 Rating: n/a
6. Mosaic: Best resource management tool for SMBs
Mosaic is a cloud-based resource management software that helps you to manage the workforce, projects, and financials efficiently.
The tool is expertly designed to help you optimize resource allocation and utilization, track project progress, and gain insights into their performance.
- Resource Allocation functionality helps allocate resources effectively by taking into account their skills, availability, and workload. This prevents overloading resources or underutilizing them–a big benefit!
- Resource Utilization feature offers real-time visibility into resource utilization and ensures that resources are utilized to their full potential.
- Project Planning feature enables you to plan and track projects efficiently. It offers real-time status updates on projects so that you can identify issues early and take corrective action as needed.
- Team plan: $9.99 per user per month
- Business plan: $14.99 per user per month
- Enterprise plan: Custom quote
G2 Rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars
Float is a cloud-based resource management software that is useful for businesses of all sizes, from small startups to large enterprises. This tool enables you to manage resources effectively and efficiently.
- Float’s drag-and-drop scheduling tool makes it easy to schedule resources such as employees, equipment, and facilities. As a result, you can view and adjust schedules in real time, ensuring that each resource is allocated optimally.
- The platform’s capacity planning feature allows you to forecast resource needs and plan for future projects as well as prevent over- or under-utilization of resources. Consequently, you can make informed decisions about resource allocation and ensure that each project is adequately staffed.
- The tool’s time tracking feature enables you to track the employee’s time spent on each project, making it easy to manage project budgets and bill clients accurately.
- Resource planning: $6 per user per month
- Resource planning and time tracking: $10 per user per month
G2 Rating: 4.2 stars out of 5 stars
8. Wrike: Project resource management software
One of the best project management and collaboration platforms, Wrike offers a wide range of features, including resource management tools to help you manage the workload and allocate resources efficiently.
- Resource allocation: Wrike allows you to assign tasks to team members based on their availability and workload. That’s not all. You can also see the workload of each team member and allocate resources accordingly.
- Time tracking: The tool’s time tracking feature helps you monitor the time spent on tasks and projects. This way, you can easily track billable hours and use the data to optimize resource allocation.
- Capacity planning: Wrike offers a capacity planning feature that lets you forecast resource needs based on project timelines and team availability. This helps you avoid overloading team members and ensures that you have the right resources at the right time.
- Free: $0 per user per month
- Team: $9.8 per user per month
- Business: $24.8 per user per month
- Enterprise: Custom quote
- Pinnacle: Custom quote
G2 Rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars
Other popular resource management solutions
- Resource allocation: SmartTask allows you to assign resources, such as staff, equipment, and materials, to specific tasks and projects. This helps you to optimize resource utilization, reduce wastage, and ensure that the right resources are allocated to the right tasks.
- Resource availability: This resource management tool also provides a real-time view of resource availability, enabling you to see which resources are free and when they will be available.
- Resource forecasting: SmartTask’s resource management module also includes forecasting capabilities–an extremely useful feature to predict resource needs for future projects based on historical data. This feature helps you to plan resource allocation more effectively, ensuring you have the resources you need when you need them and avoiding costly delays and project overruns.
- Free: $0
- Premium: $7.99 per user per month
- Business: $10.99 per user per month
- Enterprise: Custom quote
G2 Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
The tool is also know for leveraging a host of useful resource management features such as project tracking, time tracking, resource allocation, capacity planning, and budget management
- Resource allocation: Kantata enables you to allocate resources to different tasks and projects based on their availability, skill set, and workload.
- Capacity planning: With Kantata, you can easily forecast the resource capacity and plan project timelines accordingly. The software provides insights into the availability of resources, their workload, and project deadlines, allowing you to make informed decisions about resource allocation and project planning.
- Budget management: The resource management tool offers budget management features that allow you to set project budgets, track expenses, and monitor project costs in real-time. This helps organizations manage their finances effectively and prevent cost overruns.
Pricing: Available on request
G2 Rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars
11. Toggl Plan: Resource scheduling software
Toggl Plan is a project management and resource scheduling tool that offers a simple and intuitive interface. With this tool, you can easily create project timelines, schedule resources, and track project progress in real-time. Toggl Plan comes with features such as task management, time tracking, resource and project scheduling, and team collaboration.
- Resource scheduling feature helps you to schedule resources such as team members, equipment, and facilities for different tasks and projects. Whether you want to optimize resource utilization or prevent conflicts or overbooking, this tool can help.
- Task management: Toggl Plan offers task management features that empower you to easily create, assign, and track tasks across different projects. As a result, collaboration becomes a breeze.
- Time tracking: The platform also offers time tracking features to track the time spent on different tasks and projects. This helps you to measure resource utilization and optimize workflows accordingly.
- Team: $8 per user per month
- Business: $13.35 per user per month
G2 Rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars
12. Resource Guru
Resource Guru is another cloud-based resource management software that’s worth trying. It provides a centralized platform for businesses to track the availability and usage of their resources, such as employees, contractors, equipment, and other assets.
- Resource Scheduling helps you to create schedules for the resources, track availability, and manage conflicts.
- Time Tracking empowers you to track the time spent on tasks by resources.
- Reporting functionality offers real-time reports and analytics about resource usage. This helps you to make data-driven decisions and optimize resource allocation.
- Grasshopper plan: $4.16 per user per month
- Blackbelt plan: $6.65 per user per month
- Master plan: $10 per user per month
G2 Rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars
How to pick the best resource management software for your business?
When selecting the best free resource management software for your business, there are several key factors to consider. These include:
- User Interface (UI): The user interface is the visual design and layout of the software. A good UI should be intuitive and easy to use, allowing users to quickly access and manage the features they need. So, make sure to look for resource management software with a clean, modern interface that is easy to navigate.
- Range of Features: The range of features is an extremely important consideration when selecting resource management software. Ideally, research for software that offers the features you need to effectively manage your resources, such as scheduling, time tracking, project management, and reporting.
Remember that some software may also offer advanced features such as forecasting, budgeting, and resource allocation. The tool you go for will ultimately depend on your personalized needs.
- Integrations: Integrations allow your resource management software to work seamlessly with other tools and software your business may be using. When it comes to integrations, ensure that the tool seamlessly integrates with other popular tools such as project management software, accounting software, and CRM tools.
- Pricing: As you might have guessed, pricing is another critical factor to consider when selecting resource management software. You must, as a rule of thumb, enquire about at least two to three tools and their pricing models to understand which one fits your budget and needs. Make sure to ask whether the vendor has per-user pricing or a flat monthly fee.
- Customer Support: If the tool’s customer support is not extensive and friendly, don’t go for the software. Every resource management software comes with its own set of challenges and a learning curve.
You want to make sure that the vendor offers comprehensive customer support options, such as email, phone, or live chat support, as well as online resources, such as user guides and tutorials. This will help your team to adapt to the software more easily.
Bonus material: Unusual tips to remember when selecting a resource management software
- Use the resource management tool to promote collaboration among team members by encouraging users to share their ideas, ask questions, and offer feedback on project tasks.
- Look for opportunities to automate routine tasks such as scheduling, time tracking, and reporting and free up time for more complex work.
- Choose a tool that integrates into your existing project management software, accounting software, and time-tracking software to streamline workflows and reduce duplication of effort.
- Experiment with different report formats and data visualizations to find what works best for your team.
- Use historical data to make informed projections about resource utilization and availability.
- Provide training and support to ensure that everyone on your team can use the software effectively.
- Use the software to track compliance with project timelines, budgets, and other requirements.
- Emphasize the importance of clear communication among team members to ensure that everyone is on the same page.
The takeaway: In the end, remember that selecting the best resource management software for your business requires careful consideration of a range of factors, including the user interface, range of features, integrations, pricing, and customer support.
It is definitely not an overnight job. By taking the time to carefully evaluate your options and select the best software for your needs, you can help your business effectively manage its resources and drive success.
The final word
When it comes to your resource data and selecting the best resource management software, do not treat this project as an afterthought. Managing your resources effectively lays the foundation for a successful project.
On one side, it ensures your resources are not overworked (or overwhelmed) and the work is distributed evenly. On the other hand, you can ensure that the project is completed on time, within the stipulated budget, and to the stakeholder’s satisfaction.
So, consider the tips and use any of the resource management tools mentioned above and set your project up for success, one resource at a time.
Take the next step. ✨ Try Nifty for free to manage your resource efficiently. ✨
What is resource management software?
Resource management software is basically a computer application that helps organizations manage their resources effectively. These resources can include human resources, equipment, finances, and time.
What are the three types of resource management?
The three types of resource management include:
- Human Resource Management (HRM): A type of resource management that involves managing employees and their skills, knowledge, and experience to ensure that they are used effectively and efficiently.
- Equipment Resource Management (ERM): In this type of resource management, managers focus on managing the equipment and tools used by an organization to ensure that they are being utilized optimally and are available when needed.
- Financial Resource Management (FRM): This type of resource management entails managing an organization’s financial resources, including budgeting, forecasting, and financial analysis.
What are the examples of resource management systems?
Some common examples of resource management systems include:
- Project Management Software which helps teams to manage their projects by allocating resources, setting deadlines, and tracking progress.
- Resource Scheduling Software which helps manage schedules for employees, equipment, and other resources to ensure that they are being used efficiently.
- Human Resource Management Software which is designed to manage employee data, including hiring, onboarding, training, and performance management.
- Inventory Management Software which helps managers to manage an organization’s inventory levels to ensure that the right materials and products are available when needed.
- Financial Management Software which is extremely useful in managing an organization’s finances, including budgeting, forecasting, and financial analysis.