Strategic planning is a systematic process of setting an organizational goal and devising an actionable strategy to realize the same.
It involves a detailed assessment of the organization’s current state and the drafting of the aspirational future state. This process is followed by the formulation of a practically implementable plan to bridge the two. Apart from the planning process, it also includes resource management and mobilization to support efficient road mapping for goal achievement.
Finally, it accounts for any disruptions and risks that could divert the course of business progress and prepares a disaster management strategy to adapt and mitigate its effects.
On the whole, effective strategic planning brings harmony between external circumstances, internal resources, and growth monitors to help companies achieve their long-term goals.
Why Do You Need a Strategic Planning Software?
Digital tools and platforms have transformed business operations and workflows. The same applies to strategic planning software solutions that promise the following benefits:
- Information Centralization: Information is the foundational unit of procedural efficiency. However, handling disparate data from multiple sources can be difficult. It is tougher to store and organize such information and use it as a compass to drive business decisions. Strategic planning software solutions centralize all information and make it accessible to stakeholders. Such accessibility lends direction and consistency to collective action.
- Collaboration and Communication: Strategic planning software systems come packed with collaborative features. As such, it acts as a platform for teams to work together in the development and implementation of the strategic plan. It also facilitates effective communication among team members, especially in organizations with remote workforce or geographically dispersed teams.
- Data Analysis and Reporting: Strategic planning software makes businesses increasingly data-centric. The resulting data-first environment makes it easier to conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis and generate valuable reports containing real-time insights. Such an objective, value-driven base allows for informed decision-making by spotting trends, opportunities, and areas for improvement.
- Scenario Planning: Several strategic planning software solutions allow businesses to run simulations based on external and internal variables. The calculated outcomes help them prepare for different scenarios and model future scenarios based on a matrix of assumptions. It also helps them anticipate potential outcomes of business decisions and strategy changes.
- Performance Monitoring: Strategic planning tools often include features that allow businesses to track metrics against configurable key performance indicators (KPIs). They can monitor such KPIs and map them against timelines to visualize progress and introduce any necessary interventions to catalyze success.
- Risk Management: Managing risk is a crucial part of planning strategies. With strategic planning software, organizations can predict possible risks associated with different strategies. Such foresight allows them to plan proactive risk management, contingency plans, and disaster recovery to minimize problems.
Top 9 Must-Have Strategic Planning Software Tools for 2024
Now that we’ve made a compelling case for strategic planning software, here’s a look at the top 9 options available in the market.
1. Nifty: All-in-One Strategic Planning Software
Nifty is a comprehensive project management OS that props strategic planning on the pillars of effective communication, workflow automation, and cohesive collaboration. It refines strategic planning through centralized task management, interactive timelines, and value-loaded milestones to lend clarity and efficiency to the process.
Translate plans into actions using Tasks. Nifty’s powerful task management feature allows users to create, assign, and track tasks – even recurring ones. Enjoy a high level of detail as you define tasks into subtasks and view them as Kanban Boards, Lists, Swimlanes, Timelines, and Calendars.
Set clear goals and track them all the way to completion – either as a singular task or a complete task list. Goals are an excellent way to measure and monitor progress. It also highlights any issues that can come in the way of goal achievement.
Roadmaps are your strategic plan in a visual format. They map all tasks and timelines in a milestone format so that you can break down larger goals into smaller portions and achieve them faster. It also gives an overview of any looming deadline, task priorities, and any dependencies.
Collaborate and communicate effectively with Nifty Discussions. From sharing the mission and vision documents to leaving comments on tasks, this feature orchestrates every knowledge and information exchange. You can also extract from discussions and turn them into actions while ensuring that nothing falls through the cracks.
- Real-Time Alerts
Get real-time alerts to stick to schedules and take prompt actions. Nifty sends push notification alerts for reminders, task assignments, due dates, milestone achievements, file sharing, and more. Users also get notifications when they are tagged in comments or when someone comments on their thread to ensure nothing is amiss.
Try the best strategic planning software for free!
Get Started Free
- Free: $0
- Starter: $39 per month
- Pro: $79 per month
- Business: $124 per month
- Unlimited: $399 per month
2. Unito: Sync Strategies Between Projects
If you’re in the habit of using multiple planning and management software systems, then Unito can connect them all. Its synchronization capabilities provide strategic alignment between diverse tools and platforms to help teams communicate seamlessly. With Unito, you can stick to your preferred solutions while maintaining cross-platform compatibility.
- Effortless Syncing
Unito syncs data across all connected tools in real-time and through two-way exchange. As such, any change mirrors across all terminals.
- Customizable Rules
Establish rules to define the what, how, and where of data syncing capabilities to enjoy absolute control and precision. Select the fields that you wish to sync and leave out the rest.
- Field Mapping
Field mapping allows users to set up data flow restrictions to convert two-way channels into one-way. Such maps funnel data from multiple sources into a single repository.
Build and test workflows, save incomplete ones as drafts, create duplicates for recurring use, and gain visibility of workflow health.
- Basic (one tool): $99 per month for 1250 items in sync
- Pro (one tool): $299 per month for 2500 items in sync
- Business (all tools): $769 per month for 6000 items in sync
- Enterprise (all tools): Custom pricing
3. Profit.co: OKR-Based Strategic Planning Software
Profit.co relies on Objective and Key Result (OKR) methodology to assist strategic planning. It outlines the key organizational objectives and tracks the metrics involved in achieving the goal. At the same time, it offers real-time insights into the performance so that teams can comfortably set, monitor, and meet their strategic goals.
- OKR Management
Align smaller, strategic goals with the overarching organizational objectives so that the teams don’t lose focus of the final outcome. Choose from or customize 400+ built-in KPIs to measure progress.
- Task Handling
Create detailed to-do lists containing tasks of varying priority, importance, and deadlines to get work done. View these tasks as boards, timelines, or progress bars.
- Stakeholder Involvement
Get teams and stakeholders on the same page with smart commenting and tags. The gamified layout allows managers to reward team members with points upon task completion.
- Performance Optimization
Review team performance against specific organizational needs. Get real-time visibility into team-level goals, progress, and corresponding metrics to get organizational analytics and visualize individualistic contributions.
23 teams migrated from Profit.co to Nifty last week.
- Launch: free up to 5 users
- Growth: $7 per user per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
4. Hirebook: Implement Strategies Through Performance
Hirebook is a performance management software that can also be used for strategic planning. The core competency of Hirebook lies in continuous feedback while setting and reaching goals. It covers regular check-ins, periodic reviews, and development discussions to create an environment of continuous improvement.
Manage teams and tasks efficiently. Schedule team meetings or one-on-ones to bring team-wide cohesiveness. Assign tasks to members, set due dates, and track progress – all in the same place.
- OKRs & KPIs
Track OKRs and KPIs that tie up with the larger organizational goal and help employees realize their role in organizational success. Plus, an outcome-based performance-tracking model empowers employees to self-manage growth.
Capture real-time feedback from employees about how they feel on a personal level and with reference to their workloads. Collect feedback and survey employees on realistically solving problems better.
Set smart agendas and link them to meetings, along with other related documents. Schedule team meetings or one-on-ones to test employee morale in response to strategic initiatives, planning, and implementation.
- Business: $10 per user per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
5. Airtable: One of the leading strategic planning solutions
If you’re looking for a strategic planning solution revolving around app development, then Airtable is an excellent pick. It is a no-code platform that supports businesses in developing high-end, scalable apps across marketing, operations, finance, human resources, and product management. Such a functional and case-specific approach makes strategic planning easier.
- Airtable AI
Available in beta, Airtable AI makes use of generative AI technology to improve workflows. It can improve strategic plans by factoring in different variables and extracting main insights from heavy datasets.
- Workflow Automation
Airtable Automation goes as far as facilitating complex, multi-sequence automated workflows based on trigger or action logic.
- Shared Data
Create a single source of truth and sync connected data to bring about pan-organization alignment. Shared data also injects reliability into business operations while minimizing risks.
- Interface Designer
Airtable uses simple drag-and-drop functionality to allow users of varying technical capabilities to create custom interfaces. The modular components, when put together, transform data into action.
Do you know; Nifty is also an Airtable alternative?
- Free: $0
- Team: $20 per user per month
- Business: $45 per user per month
- Enterprise Scale: Custom pricing
6. Monday.com: People-First Strategic Planning Software
Monday.com is a free project management platform that helps strategic planning through a blend of project management and collaborative action. It visually presents data through boards and timelines to give a high-level view of the underlying tasks and workflows that are to be completed.
- People Management
Rather than focusing purely on projects or tasks, Monday.com aims to empower managers in dealing with the people behind it. It comes with employee, team, and HR management capabilities to do so.
- Time Tracking
Monday.com allows users to effectively track the time spent on every task with a simple click. Apart from the timer, team members can also manually enter the time spent on every item.
- Document Management
Since data forms the core of the strategic planning process, the document management feature centralizes data and makes it accessible to authorized stakeholders.
- Remote Collaboration
Connect remote and disparate teams together to smartly execute strategic plans. Effective collaboration brings about better strategy planning and alignment.
Check out: Ideal Monday alternative
- Free: $0
- Basic: $8 per user per month
- Standard: $10 per user per month
- Pro: $16 per user per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
7. Envisio: Enterprise-Grade Strategic Planning Software
Envisio is a dedicated strategic planning software geared toward enterprises and established institutes. It is strategic planning platform that helps entities formulate robust strategies and execute them with finesse. Operationalize plans while aligning teams, monitoring performance, and sharing results with stakeholders.
- Strategic Plans
Take control of strategic plans and populate actionable lists of tasks. Map out a clear, unambiguous strategy in the format of your choice.
- Team Management
Break apart organizational siloes and surpass team-linked boundaries to create a cohesive and cross-functional workforce that works as a unit.
- Data-Backed Performance Measurement
Keep a tab on performance data over a centralized performance management platform. Analyze and visualize information while honoring priorities and business decisions.
- Interactive Dashboards
Benefit from data visualization tools like scorecards, progress bars, etc., to present plans and progress in an easy-to-digest form. Tell your tale transparently.
8. Sciforma: Project and Portfolio Management Software
Sciforma is a holistic project and portfolio management software that can also be used for strategic planning. It fits this use case by helping organizations plan, prioritize, and execute projects through its modules like resource management, budget tracking, change management, etc.
- Strategy Execution
Identify the project, product, or initiative that features in the strategic plan and contributes to the overarching organizational goal, especially in relation to the outcome of organizational strategy. Use the findings to formulate robust, case-specific strategies.
- Situational Simulations
Run multiple “what-if” simulations to predict possible outcomes of various scenarios in different conditions, such as timeline, workload, budget, etc., to pave the way for sharper strategies.
- Multi-Method Resource Management
Sciforma dips into multi-method resource and capacity management to improve market responsiveness, enhance operational efficiency, and maximize business impact by resource availability.
- Project Scheduling
Ensure everything goes as per plan through detailed and cleverly planned-out project schedules. Available as Gantt charts, these schedules manage assignments, project critical paths, deliverables, risks, and financial transactions.
Read Also: 10 Best Gantt Chart Software for Teams
9. Wrike: Versatile and Industry-Agnostic Strategic Planning Software
Wrike is a versatile project management and collaboration tool that also doubles as a strategic planning tool and software. It empowers teams while streamlining workflows, planning projects, and formulating strategic goals. Wrike patches the entire company together to make strategies a reality.
- Pan-Organizational Alignment
Bring your entire workforce together and calibrate them to focus on the same thing. Such alignment and direction will accelerate success.
- Reduced Redundancies
Eliminate redundancies and resource allocation to routine tasks through automated workflows. Set up logical or rule-based approvals that you can templatize.
Build custom workspaces for teams and equip them with the right set of tools and technologies to breathe life into strategic plans.
Assign or display tasks in different ways – calendar, table, board, Gantt charts, workload charts, resource bookings, etc., to visualize what’s done and what’s in the pipeline.
- Free: $0
- Team: $9.80 per user per month
- Business: $24.80 per user per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
- Pinnacle: Custom pricing
How to Choose the Best Strategic Planning Software?
If you’re looking to bag the best strategic planning software, consider the option that offers the following capabilities:
- Collaboration: Powerful collaboration and seamless communication allows teams to work harmoniously while developing and executing plans.
- Data visualization: Data visualization tools convert complex data into clear, actionable insights for strategic analysis and empowered decision-making.
- Real-time tracking: Monitor progress in real-time through milestones, timelines, or to-do lists that indicate what is done and what remains.
- Integrations: You want a solution that seamlessly integrates with your existing tech stack and fosters an environment of interoperability with zero data flow barriers for strategic plan execution.
- Scalability: The strategic planning software should adapt to changing organizational requirements and scale with the company’s growth.
- UX/UI personalization: Customized and intuitive interfaces improve user engagement and empower them to extract more value from the solution available.
- Agility: An agile framework promotes interactive planning and execution despite disruptions or changing circumstances.
- Mobile-friendly: Enjoy strategic planning from anywhere and at any time. Mobile accessibility ensures higher stakeholder participation, elasticity, and responsiveness.
Are You Ready to Take Your Planning Ahead With the Right Strategy?
When you look at all the features present in the best strategic planning software, you will notice that Nifty checks all the boxes. From an intuitive UI/UX to rich dashboards – Nifty has everything to define goals and devise strategies to achieve said goals. With Nifty by your side, your team will not just prepare smarter but also perform better.
What is strategic planning software?
Strategic planning software is a tool to facilitate systematic goal-setting, effective implementation, organizational alignment, smart resource allocation, and improved efficiency to meet long-term objectives.
What are the 4Ps of strategic planning?
The 4 Ps of strategic planning include:
What are some free strategic planning software options?
While there are no “free” strategic planning software solutions, the following options come with a free plan: